What is Sports Massage?
Sports Massage is a combination of massage strokes and techniques combined with flexibility and specific exercise routines geared to increase an athlete’s performance capabilities. The application of Sports Massage is determined by one’s own specific anatomical and physiological needs. Basic musculoskeletal evaluations, orthopedic assessments, and flexibility analysis do this. By determining the athlete’s specific needs, the Sports Massage therapist will not only be able to provide increased strength, speed and flexibility, but also improve biomechanical efficiency and decrease the potential for injury. This is a comprehensive program with a shared responsibility between the Sports Massage Therapist and the athlete.
- Benefits to a comprehensive Sports Massage:
- Improvement of circulation
- Reduces muscle tension
- Reduces swelling
- Aids in lymphatic drainage
- Decreases muscle fatigue
- Aids in preventing muscular spasm
- Accelerates recovery from training and competition
- Increases flexibility and range of motion
- Aids in the healing of acute injuries so that they do not become a source of repetitive aggravation
- Breaks down scar tissue and adhesions which lead to improper muscular function and much more.